⅔ cup (107 g)steel-cut oats, soaked overnight, rinsed, drained*
2 cups (480 mL)unsweetened soy milk**
½ tspground cinnamon
⅛ tsppumpkin pie spice (optional)
1 Tbsp (7 g)ground flaxseeds
1 tsp (5 mL)
Make your own
- In a medium pot, add the drained oats, plant milk, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat further, if needed, to maintain a simmer and to avoid burning.
- After 8 minutes, add the ground flaxseeds, banana, and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- When the oats are cooked through, it’s done! Add more milk if a thinner consistency is preferred, or cook for another couple of minutes to thicken.
- Add toppings and enjoy!
- * When we have time, we like to soak our steel-cut oats beforehand to help decrease the cooking time and to help increase nutrient absorption. Soaking, though, is not necessary for this recipe; if using unsoaked oats, double the cooking time and add about 30% more milk. Learn more about the benefits of soaking in our PUL article.
- ** Nutrition tip: aim to use plant-based milk that is fortified with calcium.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat leftovers on the stove or in the microwave. If possible, add the banana fresh the next morning.
Let us know what you think
Nutrition per serving
Calories 302 kCal
|Total fat||7 g|
|Saturated fat||1 g|
|Trans fat||0 g|
|Total carbs||46 g|
|Dietary fiber||7 g|
|Total sugars||7 g|
|Added sugars||0 g|
|Vitamin A||149 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||0 mg|
|Vitamin B12||2 μg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Vitamin D||3 μg|
|Vitamin E||0 mg|
|Vitamin K||4 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
More for the eyes