15.8 oz (450 g)extra firm tofu, pressed
¼ cup (32 g)cornstarch
½ cup (120 mL)unsweetened soy milk
½ cup (54 g)breadcrumbs
1 tsp (2 g)paprika powder
½ tspground cumin
½ tspgarlic powder
¼ tspground black pepper
½ cup (120 mL)
3 Tbsp (42 g)unsalted vegan butter
½ tsponion powder
Vegan ranch dip
½ cup (120 mL)vegan mayonnaise
2 Tbsp (30 mL)unsweetened soy milk
1 Tbsp (6 g)
½ Tbsp (7 mL)fresh lemon juice
Make your own
- Preheat the oven to 430°F (220°C).
- Press the tofu to drain off as much liquid as possible, then cut into sticks about 5 cm long and 1 cm thick.
- Prepare 3 large shallow bowls: the first one with cornstarch; the second with milk; and the third with the mixture of bread crumbs, paprika powder, cumin, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Dip the tofu sticks in the cornstarch first, making sure to evenly coat it. Use your hands to brush off any clumps of cornstarch as we only want a thin layer coating the strips.
- Then dunk the strips into the milk, letting any excess liquid drip off, before transferring the strips to the breadcrumb mixture. Roll to evenly coat.
- Transfer the coated strips onto a parchment-lined baking tray. Bake in the centre-rack of the oven for 25 - 30 minutes, or until the sticks are golden, flipping once halfway.
- Next, make the buffalo sauce. To a large pan on medium-high heat, add the hot sauce, butter, and onion powder. Stir and cook until the butter has melted, then remove from the heat.
- When the tofu sticks are finished baking, remove them from the oven. When they are still warm, but cool enough to handle, dip them into the buffalo sauce. Let any excess sauce drip off, before transferring the sticks to a serving plate.
- To make the vegan ranch dip: mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve the buffalo tofu sticks with the vegan ranch, or serve them on mini tortillas with avocado, lettuce, and the ranch sauce drizzled overtop. Enjoy!
- Store the tofu in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Nutrition per tofu strip
Calories 72 kCal
|Total fat||5 g|
|Saturated fat||1 g|
|Trans fat||0 g|
|Total carbs||5 g|
|Dietary fiber||0 g|
|Total sugars||1 g|
|Added sugars||0 g|
|Vitamin A||11 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||0 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0 μg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Vitamin D||0 μg|
|Vitamin E||0 mg|
|Vitamin K||1 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
Watch it step-by-step!
More for the eyes