15.8 oz (450 g)extra firm tofu, pressed
1 tsp (5 mL)olive oil
1 Tbsp (8 g)cornstarch (optional)
1 tsp (3 g)garlic powder
¼ tspground black pepper
2 Tbsp (30 mL)olive oil
¼ tspdried oregano
¼ tspdried thyme
¼ tspdried basil
⅛ tspground black pepper
1yellow bell pepper, chopped
1red bell pepper, chopped
1large red onion, chopped
1large sweet potato, cut into very thin bite-sized squares
½zucchini, cut into thin bite-sized squares
Serves well with
Make your own
- Soak about 20 - 25 wooden 7 inch (18 cm) skewers in a shallow dish of water for about 15 minutes. This will prevent the skewers from burning when they are baking.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). If using a BBQ, disregard this step.
- Cut the tofu into 1 inch (2 cm) bite-sized squares that are rather thin, but not too thin that they fall apart when threading through the skewer. If cut too thick, they won't crisp up as nicely.
- To a large shallow dish, add the tofu pieces, drizzle over the olive oil, and gently toss to coat. Then add the cornstarch, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and give it another gentle toss.
- To make the marinade, to a medium bowl, add the ingredients for the marinade, and give it a mix.
- Thread the tofu on the skewers along with the chopped veggies. Repeat until the skewer is filled up, and finish it with a cherry tomato on top. Note: the sweet potato needs to be cut more thinly than the other veggies so that it finishes cooking at the same time.
- Brush the marinade over the skewers, and place the skewers onto a wire rack. Place the rack into the centre of the oven, with a baking tray underneath to catch any liquid that drips off. Alternatively, if using a BBQ, simply grill until it's cooked to your liking, before giving it a turn.
- Bake in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes, or until the veggies are cooked to your liking.
- These skewers are delicious on their own, but we definitely recommend enjoying them together with our vegan tzatziki recipe!
- Variations: try any other veggies, such as mushrooms, carrots, or corn. Vary up the flavours by adding spices like ground coriander or curry powder.
- Make-ahead: these skewers can be prepped a day ahead and stored in the fridge. Simply brush the marinade over top and roast when ready to enjoy.
- The skewers can be stored in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Nutrition per skewer
Calories 46 kCal
|Total fat||2 g|
|Saturated fat||0 g|
|Trans fat||0 g|
|Total carbs||5 g|
|Dietary fiber||1 g|
|Total sugars||2 g|
|Added sugars||0 g|
|Vitamin A||86 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||0 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0 μg|
|Vitamin C||22 mg|
|Vitamin D||0 μg|
|Vitamin E||0 mg|
|Vitamin K||3 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
Watch it step-by-step!
More for the eyes