Total3 hr + 10 min
1 tsp (6 g)salt
2 Tbsp (30 mL)vegetable oil, for frying eggplants
3medium potatoes, peeled, cut into ½ cm thick rounds
3medium tomatoes, sliced into 1 cm thick rounds
2 tsp (10 mL)vegetable oil, for frying garlic
3cloves garlic, crushed
½ tspground turmeric
¾ cup (180 mL)boiling water
Garlic yogurt sauce
1 cup (240 mL)unsweetened soy yogurt
1clove garlic, crushed
Serves well with
whole wheat pita bread
Make your own
- Trim the tops off the eggplants. Using a potato peeler, create a decorative pattern in the skin of the eggplant by peeling alternating stripes in the eggplant lengthwise. Then slice the eggplant into rounds, just over ½ inch (1½ cm) thick.
- Transfer the eggplants to a large bowl, and sprinkle the salt overtop. Then using your hands, massage the salt onto both sides of each piece of eggplant.
- Let the eggplants sit in the bowl for at least 2 hours, and up to 4 hours. This helps to draw water out of the eggplant and allows for less oil to be used later. You should notice by the end the eggplant is "sweating" and there is a pool of dark water in the bowl that has leached from the eggplants.
- Using a clean kitchen cloth, squeeze as much water out of each eggplant piece as possible.
- To a sauté pan on high heat, add half of the oil. When hot, drop the heat to medium and add half of the eggplant in a single layer. Let fry until golden, then flip. When both sides are golden, set aside on a plate. Then repeat with the other half of the oil and eggplants.
- When the last of the eggplant is cooked on both sides, drop the heat to low and layer the sliced potatoes, tomatoes, and previously cooked eggplants into the pan.
- Meanwhile, to a small pan on medium-high heat, add the oil and garlic. Cook until the garlic becomes golden, about 3 minutes.
- Then add the turmeric and salt, stirring for 20 seconds.
- Add the boiling water. Stir so that the turmeric dissolves in the water. Pour this liquid over the veggies in the large pan.
- Cover and cook on medium-low for 35 - 40 minutes. Careful NOT to stir at any point, otherwise the veggies will turn into mush. Serve with the garlic yogurt drizzled over top, and with toasted bread and salata on the side. Enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- The garlic yogurt is best enjoyed immediately, but can be stored in a container in the fridge for up to 1 day.
Let us know what you think
Nutrition per serving
Calories 391 kcal
|Total fat||16.7 g|
|Saturated fat||3.1 g|
|Trans fat||0.0 g|
|Total carbs||56.8 g|
|Dietary fiber||13.1 g|
|Total sugars||19.5 g|
|Added sugars||0.0 g|
|Vitamin A||65 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||0.8 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0 μg|
|Vitamin C||45.2 mg|
|Vitamin D||1 μg|
|Vitamin E||3.4 mg|
|Vitamin K||37 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
More for the eyes