5 cups (670 g)fresh white asparagus
4 cups (960 mL)water
2 tsp (10 mL)olive oil
3cloves garlic, minced
2potatoes, cut into 1 cm cubes
2vegetable bouillon cubes
1 tsp (2 g)paprika powder (optional)
1 pinchground black pepper
- Peel the outer layer of the asparagus with a vegetable peeler. Trim off the ends to remove any tough, woody bits.
- Place the asparagus in a large pot on medium-high heat, with 2 cups (480 mL) of water. Bring to simmer and let cook partially covered for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked asparagus to a plate and reserve the steaming liquid by pouring it into a bowl.
- Return the pot to the burner, add the oil and onion, sautéing for 2 - 3 minutes, or until lightly golden. Add splashes of the reserved water to deglaze the pot as needed.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute, until fragrant.
- Then add the potatoes, bouillon cubes, paprika powder, and the reserved cooking water. Add an additional 2 cups (480 mL) of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer while partially covered for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Cut the tips off the asparagus and reserve for garnish. Cut the stalks into 2 - 3 pieces and add to the pot after it has boiled, and you have turned it down to a simmer.
- Pour the hot soup into your desired bowls. Serve with the reserved asparagus tips as a garnish, along with any other desired garnish. Enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Nutrition per serving
Calories 192 kCal
|Total fat||7 g|
|Saturated fat||2 g|
|Trans fat||0 g|
|Total carbs||29 g|
|Dietary fiber||5 g|
|Total sugars||7 g|
|Added sugars||0 g|
|Vitamin A||94 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||0 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0 μg|
|Vitamin C||22 mg|
|Vitamin D||0 μg|
|Vitamin E||3 mg|
|Vitamin K||79 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
More for the eyes