1medium sweet potato, peeled, cut into ½ cm sticks
6nori seaweed sheets
3 cups (522 g)
½cucumber, seeds removed, thinly sliced
1red bell pepper, thinly sliced
Serves well with
toasted sesame seeds
Make your own
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Lay the sweet potato strips on a parchment-lined baking tray and roast on the middle rack of the oven for 10 - 15 minutes, flipping halfway, until cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool, before cutting into strips.
- Now you're ready to roll! Place a sheet of nori, rough side up, on your rolling mat and spoon on about ½ cup of cooled rice.
- Gently spread out the rice with a spoon or your fingers. The rice should cover the sheet, but you should still be able to see some of the seaweed below the rice. Leave about 1 inch of space at the top of your sheet. Tip: if you are finding the rice sticks to the spoon or your fingers, wet your fingers with some water.
- Place your vegetables in a line, about ½ inch (1 cm) above the bottom of your roll.
- Using your fingers to hold the fillings in place, pull up on the mat to gently roll the sushi into a firm cylinder.
- Cut into pieces of your desired size, and enjoy! Tip, to keep the knife from sticking to the roll as you cut, lightly coat the knife in vegetable or sesame oil.
- Best if enjoyed right away, but can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a day.
- Tips for storing: leave in a complete roll and cut when ready to eat. This prevents the sushi from drying out.
- If you have already cut your rolls: line an airtight container with a piece of moist paper towel, or a small, thin tea towel. Place your pieces on top, and wrap the cloth edges over the rolls. The moisture from the liner will keep your cut pieces chewy for at least a day.
Let us know what you think
The Plate Method is a visual tool that helps us ensure our dietary needs are on track. Touch the image below to see how this recipe measures up.
Grains & Starches 33%
• medium sweet potato
• cooked seasoned sushi rice
Fruits & Veggies 67%
• nori seaweed sheet
• red bell pepper
CalciumNo significant sources of calcium
Nutrition per roll
Calories 173 kCal
|Total fat||4 g|
|Saturated fat||1 g|
|Trans fat||0 g|
|Total carbs||33 g|
|Dietary fiber||4 g|
|Total sugars||7 g|
|Added sugars||0 g|
|Vitamin A||206 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||0 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0 μg|
|Vitamin C||41 mg|
|Vitamin D||0 μg|
|Vitamin E||1 mg|
|Vitamin K||11 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
Watch it step-by-step!
More for the eyes