(½ cup per serving)
16 oz (450 g)firm tofu, pressed
2 Tbsp (16 g)cornstarch
1 Tbsp (15 mL)vegetable oil
¼ tspground black pepper
2 Tbsp (30 mL)
1 Tbsp (15 mL)
1 Tbsp (15 mL)
1 Tbsp (15 mL)rice vinegar
2 Tbsp (30 mL)vegetable oil
5cloves garlic, minced
1medium shallot, diced
2red hot chili peppers, thinly sliced
2stalks green onion, thinly sliced
- Ensure the tofu is sufficiently pressed before cutting it into 1 cm cubes*.
- To a large bowl, add the tofu cubes, cornstarch, oil, salt, and pepper. Gently toss to coat.
- Heat up a large pan over high heat and add the tofu, cooking for about 10 minutes, or until crispy. Try to not disturb the tofu too much, otherwise, it crumbles. Give it a toss only every couple of minutes, so that it cooks evenly on all sides.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by mixing the maple syrup, gochujang, soy sauce, and vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- When the tofu is crisped to your liking, transfer it to a plate. Return the same pan to the heat, and add the vegetable oil. When hot, add the garlic, shallot, chilis, and green onion all at once. Sauté for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the sauce, cooking for another 4 - 5 minutes or until the sauce becomes sticky.
- Add the tofu to the pan, and stir to coat. Garnish, serve, and enjoy!
- †Gochujang is a Korean fermented red chili paste, which has a sweet, savoury, and spicy flavour profile. It can be found in most Asian supermarkets, but you could also substitute it with another hot sauce, such as Sriracha, if desired.
- * The more liquid that can be drained, the quicker the tofu cooks and the crispier it gets.
- The tofu can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Let us know what you think
Nutrition per serving (½ cup per serving)
Calories 258 kcal
|Total fat||15.4 g|
|Saturated fat||2.4 g|
|Trans fat||0.0 g|
|Total carbs||21.5 g|
|Dietary fiber||2.1 g|
|Total sugars||10.4 g|
|Added sugars||6.0 g|
|Vitamin A||79 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0 μg|
|Vitamin C||35.5 mg|
|Vitamin D||0 μg|
|Vitamin E||1.4 mg|
|Vitamin K||28 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
Watch it step-by-step!
More for the eyes