(½ cup per serving)
15.8 oz (450 g)extra firm tofu, cut into into 1 cm cubes
2 Tbsp (16 g)cornstarch
1 Tbsp (15 mL)vegetable oil
¼ tspground black pepper
2 Tbsp (30 mL)
1 Tbsp (15 mL)
1 Tbsp (15 mL)
1 Tbsp (15 mL)rice vinegar
2 Tbsp (30 mL)vegetable oil
5cloves garlic, minced
2red hot chilis, thinly sliced
2stalks green onion, thinly sliced
toasted sesame seeds
- Drain the tofu of any excess liquid before cutting it into little cubes. The more liquid that can be drained, the quicker the tofu cooks and the crispier it gets.
- To a large shallow bowl, add the tofu cubes, corn starch, vegetable oil, salt, and pepper. Gently toss to coat.
- Heat up a large pan over high heat and add the tofu, cooking for about 10 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Try to not disturb the tofu too much, otherwise, it crumbles. Give it a toss only every couple of minutes, so that it cooks evenly on all sides.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by mixing together in a bowl the maple syrup, gochujang, soy sauce, and vinegar. Set aside.
- When the tofu is crisped to your liking, transfer it to a plate.
- Return the same pan to the heat, and add the vegetable oil. When hot, add the garlic, shallot, chilis, and green onion all at once. Sauté for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the sauce, cooking for another 4 - 5 minutes or until the sauce becomes sticky.
- Add the tofu to the pan, and give it a stir so the tofu is coated.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve. Enjoy!
- * Gochujang is a Korean fermented red chili paste, which has a sweet, savoury, and spicy flavour profile. It can be found in most Asian supermarkets, but you could also substitute it with another hot sauce, such as Sriracha, if desired.
- The tofu can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Nutrition per serving (½ cup per serving)
Calories 231 kCal
|Total fat||13 g|
|Saturated fat||2 g|
|Trans fat||0 g|
|Total carbs||20 g|
|Dietary fiber||1 g|
|Total sugars||11 g|
|Added sugars||0 g|
|Vitamin A||23 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||0 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0 μg|
|Vitamin C||35 mg|
|Vitamin D||0 μg|
|Vitamin E||1 mg|
|Vitamin K||25 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
Watch it step-by-step!
More for the eyes