(¼ cup per serving)
Total5 days + 20 min
8 cups (560 g)shredded red cabbage
2raw beets, peeled, grated
1½ Tbsp (27 g)salt
1 Tbsp (5 g)whole coriander seeds
- To a large bowl, add the cabbage, beetroot, and salt.
- Work the salt into the vegetables by firmly massaging with your clean hands. Continue to massage and squeeze for 10 - 15 minutes. The cabbage will soften as you continue to massage, and liquids will naturally release to create a brine. Note, the salt may cause skin irritation if you have any minor cuts on your hands. If desired, use clean gloves.
- When finished massaging, mix in the coriander seeds.
- Transfer the mixture, including the brine, into a clean glass jar. Do not fill the jar beyond ¾ full as the sauerkraut needs some "breathing" room.
- Firmly push down the mixture until the vegetables are fully submerged under the brine. Note, the mixture must be fully submerged. If not, mix ½ teaspoon of salt in 1 cup (240 mL) of water and add this to the jar to fully submerge the veggies.
- Place a clean weight on top of the vegetables to keep them fully submerged under the brine throughout the fermentation process. For our weight, we used a small glass jar filled with rice (see photo below).
- Close with an air-tight lid and allow the sauerkraut to ferment for 5 - 10 days away from direct sunlight and at a moderate temperature, about 18 - 24°C (65 - 75°F).
- Every day, pop open the lid of the jar to allow the gas to escape. Note, bubbles will naturally form on top throughout the fermentation process, this is normal and not a cause for concern. If needed, press down the weight on top of the sauerkraut to ensure all the veggies are remaining submerged.
- Taste test after 4 days to determine when you’d like to stop fermentation.
- Once fermented, place the sauerkraut in the desired glass jar and seal airtight with a lid.
- Store in an airtight container or mason jar, preferably with a plastic lid (rather than metal) in the fridge for up to 3 months.
Nutrition per serving (¼ cup per serving)
Calories 8 kCal
|Total fat||0 g|
|Saturated fat||0 g|
|Trans fat||0 g|
|Total carbs||2 g|
|Dietary fiber||1 g|
|Total sugars||1 g|
|Added sugars||0 g|
|Vitamin A||10 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||0 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0 μg|
|Vitamin C||10 mg|
|Vitamin D||0 μg|
|Vitamin E||0 mg|
|Vitamin K||7 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
More for the eyes