10 ingredients or less
¾ cup (180 mL)water
0.28 oz (8 g)
3 cups (192 g)shredded green cabbage
4stalks green onion, chopped
4king trumpet mushrooms, cut into 1 cm pieces
5.3 oz (150 g)silken tofu
¼ cup (34 g)all-purpose flour
1 tsp (3 g)baking powder
1 Tbsp (15 mL)vegetable oil, for cooking
¼ cup (60 mL)
¼ cup (60 mL)
sliced green onion
- Add the kombu and water to a saucepan. Cook, covered, at a gentle simmer for 10 minutes to make a broth. Allow the broth to cool to room temperature before removing the kombu.
- Meanwhile prepare the green onions, cabbage, and mushrooms.
- In a large pan on high heat, grill the mushrooms until golden on both sides. Remove them from the pan. Wipe the pan clean, it'll be used to make the pancakes.
- Add the tofu to a large bowl. Mash using a fork, or optionally, blend using an immersion blender until puréed.
- Then add the flour, baking powder, and cooled kombu-broth*. Stir to combine.
- Add the cabbage, green onions, and grilled mushrooms. Stir until everything is coated in batter.
- Add some oil to the large pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup of the cabbage mixture. Use a spatula to pat the mixture into a round shape. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 4 minutes, or until the bottom is golden.
- Gently flip the okonomiyaki, cover again, and cook on the other side until golden.
- Transfer to a plate, drizzle with okonomiyaki sauce, mayo, and any other desired toppings. Enjoy!
- * After simmering, the broth will have lost some liquid. You should end up with about ½ cup (120 mL). If you got less, add more water. But if you got more, just add ½ cup and stop there.
- Okonomiyaki is best enjoyed immediately.
Let us know what you think
The Plate Method is a visual tool that helps us ensure our dietary needs are on track. Touch the image below to see how this recipe measures up.
Grains & Starches 2%
• all-purpose flour
• silken tofu
Fruits & Veggies 93%
• shredded green cabbage
• stalk green onion
• king trumpet mushroom
• silken tofu
• vegetable oil
• vegan mayonnaise
Nutrition per okonomiyaki
Calories 203 kcal
|Total fat||8.3 g|
|Saturated fat||1.3 g|
|Trans fat||0.0 g|
|Total carbs||27.2 g|
|Dietary fiber||5.9 g|
|Total sugars||7.9 g|
|Added sugars||3.1 g|
|Vitamin A||12 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin B12||67 μg|
|Vitamin C||19.9 mg|
|Vitamin D||1 μg|
|Vitamin E||0.9 mg|
|Vitamin K||72 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
Watch it step-by-step!
More for the eyes
Discussion & Rating
This dish is a must in anyone's rotation of dishes. I made it twice in one week. It has become one of my favorite dishes to make. Comes together in 30 mins or less. My daughter can't get enough. She has already requested it again.
Could I use the sea weed that you make sushi with instead of the kombu?
Im so excited to try this!
How long will they be good in the fridge? And also can I freeze them?
Omg I'm obsessed, these were sooo good! So happy to have found a vegan version of these 🤤
Made today your okonomiyaki for breakfast. And it was sooo good! I used mushrooms I already had in the fridge (which is oyster mushrooms) and I also add carrot, cause why not?! And me and my bf truly enjoy it. Thank you
This were Ah-mazing!!
Thank you so much for creating this delicious recipe! I substituted with Shitake mushrooms and rice flour and it turned out so well. Definitely one of my new favourites! ^^
Looks delicious your recipes are amazing any gluten free suggestions? Thank you so much!
So so so tasty!! Love the mushrooms in there 10/10
I have been wanting to make vegan okonomiyaki ever since I had it in Japan, and with this recipe, I had no more excuses for putting it off. And let me tell you: perfection! So delicious! I'll definitely be making this regularly, thank you so much!