1½ cups (188 g)all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp (15 g)
¼ cup (45 g)brown sugar
¼ cup (50 g)granulated sugar
2 Tbsp (14 g)ground flaxseeds
2 tsp (10 g)baking powder
1 tsp (3 g)ground cinnamon
¼ tspground ginger
⅛ tspground cloves (optional)
⅛ tspground cardamom (optional)
1 cup (112 g)
½ cup (58 g)raw walnuts, chopped
½ cup (74 g)dried figs, chopped
½ cup (120 g)
1 cup (240 mL)unsweetened soy milk
⅓ cup (80 mL)vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and lightly grease a muffin tin.
- To a large bowl, add all of the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Then add the wet ingredients and mix until just combined, but be careful not to overmix.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the wells of the muffin tin.
- For decoration, you could add some chopped nuts and dried fruits on top of the muffins before they go into the oven. This is optional.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let cool, and enjoy!
- * Use store-bought almond flour, or make it yourself by adding raw almonds to a food processor and blending until you achieve a flour-like consistency.
- To gift these muffins in a jar, watch our video below, or follow these instructions:
- In order for the ingredients to fit, you'll need 1L mason jars. To create even and clean lines in your jar, lower your spoon low into the jar when adding each new layer. Then clean the inside of the glass with a small silicone pastry brush to clear it of any flour residue. Using the pastry brush, level out each layer before adding in the next layer.
- Add the ingredients in the following order: flour (½ cup) > cacao powder > flour (½ cup) > brown sugar > flour (½ cup).
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, flaxseeds, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt, and cardamom. Then add this to the jar. Atop this layer, add the almond flour.
- Use the back of a small ladle or measuring spoon to press down firmly and evenly on the contents within the jar. This should compress all the layers, creating more space at the top of the jar for the following ingredients.
- Finally, add in the chopped walnuts, dried figs, and chocolate chips.
- Seal the jar with a lid, and decorate with string or flowers.
- Print our ready-made printable PDF template to give with the jar, or write the following instructions on a card yourself:
- To make the muffins: 1) Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). 2) Lightly grease a muffin tin. 3) Empty the jar into a large bowl, and stir to combine all the dry ingredients. 4) Add 1 cup (240 mL) plant-based milk, and ⅓ cup (80 mL) vegetable oil to the same bowl, and stir until just combined. For decoration, you could save some chopped nuts and fruits to put on top of the muffins before they go into the oven. 5) Divide the batter evenly into the wells of the muffin tin, and bake in the oven on the centre rack for 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of the centre clean. Let cool, and enjoy!
- The cooked muffins can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days.
- The layered jar can be stored in a dark and cool place for up to 1 month.
Nutrition per muffin
Calories 306 kCal
|Total fat||19 g|
|Saturated fat||4 g|
|Trans fat||0 g|
|Total carbs||34 g|
|Dietary fiber||5 g|
|Total sugars||16 g|
|Added sugars||3 g|
|Vitamin A||12 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||0 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0 μg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Vitamin D||0 μg|
|Vitamin E||1 mg|
|Vitamin K||9 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
Watch it step-by-step!
More for the eyes