1 Tbsp (7 g)ground flaxseeds
3 Tbsp (45 mL)water
¾ cup (168 g)granulated sugar
⅓ cup (80 mL)unsweetened applesauce
⅓ cup (73 g)refined coconut oil, melted†
1 tsp (5 mL)
¼ cup (26 g)
1 tsp (5 g)baking soda
1 tsp (3 g)baking powder
1½ cups (207 g)all-purpose flour
1.8 oz (50 g)dairy-free dark chocolate, coarsely chopped, plus extra for topping
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C), and lightly grease or line the inside of a muffin tin.
- To a large bowl, add the ground flaxseeds and water, mix, and allow to sit for 5 minutes to gel.
- Then add the bananas and mash until very well combined.
- Whisk in the sugar, applesauce, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Add the cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and mix again.
- Then add the flour, mixing until just combined. Some streaks remaining are okay. Gently fold in the chocolate. Be careful not to over-mix
- Evenly divide the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Top each muffin with extra chocolate chunks, if desired, and bake on the middle rack of the oven for about 15 - 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the tin for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
- †Refined coconut oil is coconut oil that doesn't smell or taste like coconuts. If you prefer a distinct coconut taste, use unrefined coconut oil instead.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter for up to 2 days.
- Store in the freezer for up to 3 weeks.
Let us know what you think
Nutrition per muffin
Calories 236 kcal
|Total fat||8.6 g|
|Saturated fat||6.3 g|
|Trans fat||0.0 g|
|Total carbs||38.7 g|
|Dietary fiber||2.6 g|
|Total sugars||19.6 g|
|Added sugars||14.9 g|
|Vitamin A||1 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0 μg|
|Vitamin C||2.8 mg|
|Vitamin D||0 μg|
|Vitamin E||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin K||1 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
Watch it step-by-step!
More for the eyes