2 Tbsp (14 g)ground flaxseeds
6 Tbsp (90 mL)water
¼ cup (60 mL)vegetable oil
¼ cup (60 mL)unsweetened applesauce
½ cup (100 g)granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 g)baking soda
½ tspbaking powder
1 tsp (5 mL)
1 tsp (3 g)ground cinnamon
1¾ cups (219 g)all-purpose flour
3.1 oz (90 g)dairy-free dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C) and lightly grease a 12 x 5 inch (30 x 13 cm) loaf pan*.
- In a large bowl, mix the flax seeds and water. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it gels, mixing once halfway through.
- Once the flax seeds have gelled, add the bananas to the bowl and mash well.
- Then add the oil, applesauce, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, vanilla extract, and cinnamon and stir until well combined.
- Add the flour a third at a time, and gently mix until partly combined.
- Lastly, add the chocolate (reserve from to sprinkle on top, if desired) and fold in until just combined, but be cautious to not over-mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle on additional cinnamon and reserved chocolate, if using.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven until the top is golden, the bread starts to pull away from the sides, and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean; which will take about 40 minutes*.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool further.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
- * If using a 9 x 5 inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan, you maybe need to increase the cooking time to closer to 50 minutes.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container on the counter for up to 2 days, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Nutrition per slice
Calories 223 kCal
|Total fat||9 g|
|Saturated fat||3 g|
|Trans fat||0 g|
|Total carbs||34 g|
|Dietary fiber||3 g|
|Total sugars||15 g|
|Added sugars||0 g|
|Vitamin A||1 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||0 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0 μg|
|Vitamin C||3 mg|
|Vitamin D||0 μg|
|Vitamin E||1 mg|
|Vitamin K||6 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
Watch it step-by-step!
More for the eyes