2 Tbsp (14 g)ground flaxseeds
6 Tbsp (90 mL)water
½ cup (112 g)granulated sugar
¼ cup (60 mL)vegetable oil
¼ cup (60 mL)unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp (5 mL)
1 tsp (5 g)baking soda
1 tsp (3 g)ground cinnamon
½ tspbaking powder
1¾ cups (242 g)all-purpose flour
3.2 oz (90 g)dairy-free dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C) and lightly grease a 12 x 5 inch (30 x 13 cm) loaf pan*.
- In a large bowl, mix the flax seeds and water. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it gels, mixing once halfway through.
- Once the flaxseeds have gelled, add the bananas and mash until well combined.
- Then add the sugar, oil, applesauce, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. Stir well.
- Add the flour next, and gently mix until partly combined.
- Lastly, add the chocolate (reserve some to sprinkle on top) and fold in until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle on the reserved chocolate.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven until the top is golden, the bread starts to pull away from the sides, and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, which will take about 40 minutes**.
- Allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool further. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
- * Or use a 9 x 5 inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan.
- ** If using a 9 x 5 inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan, increase the cooking time to closer to 50 minutes.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container on the counter for up to 2 days, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Let us know what you think
Nutrition per slice
Calories 312 kcal
|Total fat||11.5 g|
|Saturated fat||3.4 g|
|Trans fat||0.0 g|
|Total carbs||48.7 g|
|Dietary fiber||3.6 g|
|Total sugars||20.8 g|
|Added sugars||14.6 g|
|Vitamin A||2 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0 μg|
|Vitamin C||3.7 mg|
|Vitamin D||0 μg|
|Vitamin E||0.9 mg|
|Vitamin K||9 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
Watch it step-by-step!
More for the eyes