(1 litre jar per serving)
2 cups (280 g)uncooked extra coarse bulgur*
2 cups (480 mL)water
¼ cup (60 mL)canned tomato paste
¼ cup (60 mL)water
2 Tbsp (30 mL)olive oil
2 Tbsp (30 mL)
2 cups (396 g)cooked brown lentils
1medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup (135 g)green olives, cut in half
2 cups (360 g)cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 cup (60 g)fresh parsley, roughly ripped into pieces
- To a medium pot, add the bulgur* and water, bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover the pot with a lid and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat, give the bulgur a stir and let the bulgur rest covered for 10 minutes. Then rinse under cold water and drain.
- To make the dressing, to a medium bowl add the tomato paste, water, olive oil, pomegranate molasses, lemon juice, and salt. Mix well until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Fill the mason jars with the dressing at the base, followed by the cooked bulgur, then lentils, cucumber, red onion, green olives, tomatoes, and finally, parsley. Garnish with lemon slices, and enjoy this delicious and refreshing salad!
- * Variations: there are many different varieties of bulgur; be sure to cook yours according to the package instructions. If you don't have bulgur, feel free to use another grain like quinoa, couscous, or rice instead.
- ** Pomegranate molasses can be found in many Middle Eastern or Mediterranean supermarkets. If this ingredient isn't available to you, try substituting it with pomegranate juice and maple syrup, or cranberry juice concentrate.
- The salad can be stored in mason jars in the fridge for up to 4 days.
The Plate Method is a visual tool that helps us ensure our dietary needs are on track. Touch the image below to see how this recipe measures up.
• uncooked extra coarse bulgur
• cooked brown lentils
Fruits & Veggies 52%
• canned tomato paste
• medium red onion
• green olives
• cherry tomatoes
• fresh parsley
CalciumNo significant sources of calcium
• olive oil
• green olives
Nutrition per serving (1 litre jar per serving)
Calories 536 kCal
|Total fat||14 g|
|Saturated fat||2 g|
|Trans fat||0 g|
|Total carbs||90 g|
|Dietary fiber||21 g|
|Total sugars||10 g|
|Added sugars||0 g|
|Vitamin A||122 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||1 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0 μg|
|Vitamin C||46 mg|
|Vitamin D||0 μg|
|Vitamin E||4 mg|
|Vitamin K||266 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
Watch it step-by-step!
More for the eyes