Golden Tempeh Nourish Bowl
1½ cups (360 mL)orange juice
¼ cup (60 mL)
4cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp (17 g)
1 Tbsp (15 mL)
2 tsp (4 g)freshly grated ginger
2 tsp (6 g)ground turmeric
8.8 oz (250 g)tempeh, cut into 1 cm x 2 cm pieces
2 Tbsp (16 g)cornstarch
1 Tbsp (15 mL)vegetable oil, for frying
1½ cups (240 g)uncooked red rice, soaked overnight†
1½ cups (360 mL)water
1vegetable bouillon cube, crushed
2 tsp (10 mL)sesame oil
2portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
2carrots, thinly sliced
4 cups (100 g)kale, chopped
⅛ tspground black pepper
roasted unsalted cashews
black sesame seeds
red bell pepper
sliced green onion
Make your own
- In a large bowl, mix together the orange juice, tahini, garlic, miso, sambal, ginger, and turmeric.
- Add the pieces of tempeh to the bowl, toss, and let marinate for as long as possible - either just while preparing the rest of the recipe, or overnight to maximize flavour.
- Meanwhile, chop the mushrooms, carrots, and kale. Set aside.
- Add the rice, water, and bouillon to a medium pot. Cook partially covered at a gentle simmer for about 20 minutes. When cooked, remove from the heat, fully cover, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Separate the marinated tempeh from the sauce, and place it in a bowl. Reserve the leftover marinade as this will be the dressing for the nourish bowl.
- Sprinkle cornstarch over the tempeh and toss to coat.
- Preheat the oil in a large pan on medium-high heat. When hot, add the tempeh and panfry until the tempeh is golden on all sides, tossing every few minutes.
- To a separate pan, add the sesame oil and mushrooms. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Then add the carrots, kale, salt, and pepper and cook for 3 - 4 more minutes.
- To assemble, layer some rice on the bottom of a bowl. Top with the sautéed kale mix and pan-fried tempeh. Add other desired toppings, drizzle the reserved golden tahini sauce on top, and enjoy!
- †If unable to soak the rice overnight, cook according to the package instructions as more water will be needed to cook the rice.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Store the sauce separately until you are ready to eat.
Let us know what you think
The Plate Method is a visual tool that helps us ensure our dietary needs are on track. Touch the image below to see how this recipe measures up.
Grains & Starches 39%
• uncooked red rice
Fruits & Veggies 43%
• clove garlic
• freshly grated ginger
• portobello mushroom
CalciumNo significant sources of calcium
• vegetable oil
• sesame oil
Nutrition per serving
Calories 591 kcal
|Total fat||23.0 g|
|Saturated fat||4.1 g|
|Trans fat||0.0 g|
|Total carbs||75.9 g|
|Dietary fiber||8.5 g|
|Total sugars||12.7 g|
|Added sugars||0.0 g|
|Vitamin A||327 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||0.6 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0 μg|
|Vitamin C||72.6 mg|
|Vitamin D||0 μg|
|Vitamin E||1.5 mg|
|Vitamin K||112 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
Watch it step-by-step!
More for the eyes
Discussion & Rating
This recipe was super good! I can't wait to make more of your recipes
The sauce is really incredible 😋 it was the first time for me to try out tempeh and I was absolutely blown away by the taste!
I swapped out some veggies and also used black rice instead of red rice, still very yummy. I think this recipe will totally be one of my new favourite dinner recipes from now on. Thank you so much for your creativity!
Is there an option to replace tahini? I can't have tahini and it's there in many recipes.. i really wanna try this one if i have substitute Tahini!!
So delicious!! I doubled the ginger, just because I love fresh ginger. Love this recipe.
There is a mistake in this recipe. Four cups of kale cannot weigh 520 grams - I'm looking at the nutrition label on a bag of chopped kale, the entirety of which comprises 15 cups and weighs 454 grams.
Watching our sugar intake at our house. Can you substitute lemon juice for the orange juice?
A favorite in our house! We always sub out the tempeh (not big tempeh fans) for tofu or chicken and it's great. The sauce is really delicious and one of my favorite things about the PUL dishes is that they're SO versatile. You can sub out the veggies for almost any veg you have in your home and it's still amazing.
This is soo good. One of my favorite recipes. But I am not a big kale fan so I usually use some different vegetable instead. And I don't know where to find tempeh so I always use tofu instead.
This bowl rekindled my love of tempeh and kale. Not many recipes outside of PUL even use any tempeh, but that's such a shame because it has such a lovely texture and nutty flavor.
I had to swap the sambal oelek with sriracha, but the overall flavor of this bowl is still hard to beat!
This is the recipe that introduced me to tempeh and red rice and I'm so glad! Whenever I look for tempeh marinades, I always judge them against this one. Such a unique combination of flavours that are extremely satisfying together. Yum!
Love this recipe! The tempeh is so delicious!
I make this a lot, it is so satisfying and healthy. It doesn't say if it should be fresh orange juice or not, I use fresh and don't mind too much if the pulp gets in the marinade (this happens if you're using a basic plastic orange juicer by hand.) Overrall, this recipe is just so yummy, well done PUL!
One of the best bowls I had in a long time 🥰
I used premarinated Tempeh but used the sauce for my rice and it was awesome !!
Thx a lot !!