1 Tbsp (15 mL)olive oil
2stalks green onion
1fresh jalapeño, seeds removed
1 tsp (6 g)salt
1½ cups (201 g)frozen green peas
⅔ cup (127 g)frozen spinach
½ tspdried basil
¼ tspdried oregano
¼ tspdried mint leaves (optional)
4 cups (300 g)dry fusilli pasta
1 cup (240 mL)soy cooking cream
- Prepare the leek by cutting off the root and the overly fibrous green top*. Cut the leek in half, wash in between the layers, and then thinly slice the leek. Thinly slice the garlic and green onions, and mince the jalapeño.
- Cut the stem off the head of broccoli. Cutaway the fibrous outer layer of the stem. Chop the remaining stem into bite-sized pieces. The green tops of the broccoli can be cut into small bite-sized pieces.
- To a large pot on high heat, add the olive oil, and when hot, add in the leek, broccoli stems, garlic, green onion, jalapeño, and salt*. Cook this for 5 minutes, or until the leeks become soft and translucent.
- Then add the peas, spinach, basil, oregano, and mint, cooking for another 5 - 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package instructions, adding the broccoli florets in the last couple of minutes.
- Just before draining it all, scoop out ½ cup (120 mL) cooking water from pasta and add to the pan with the vegetables. Then drain the pasta and broccoli florets.
- Add the cooking cream to the pot with the vegetables, and stir to combine. You can leave this pasta sauce chunky as is, or make it smooth by blending it all up using an immersion blender or standing blender. We chose to blend about half of our sauce, making it part-chunky and part-smooth.
- Add the drained pasta and broccoli to the sauce, along with the lemon juice, and toss to coat.
- Serve while hot and garnish as desired. Enjoy!
- * This can be discarded or saved for homemade vegetable stock.
- * The salt here helps to draw the water out of the veggies, which helps it all cook faster.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Let us know what you think
The Plate Method is a visual tool that helps us ensure our dietary needs are on track. Touch the image below to see how this recipe measures up.
Grains & Starches 52%
• dry fusilli pasta
• frozen green peas
Fruits & Veggies 38%
• large leek
• large broccoli
• clove garlic
• stalk green onion
• fresh jalapeño
• frozen spinach
CalciumNo significant sources of calcium
• olive oil
• soy cooking cream
Nutrition per serving
Calories 504 kcal
|Total fat||14 g|
|Saturated fat||2 g|
|Trans fat||0 g|
|Total carbs||77 g|
|Dietary fiber||9 g|
|Total sugars||8 g|
|Added sugars||0 g|
|Vitamin A||340 μg RAE|
|Vitamin B6||0 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0 μg|
|Vitamin C||68 mg|
|Vitamin D||0 μg|
|Vitamin E||4 mg|
|Vitamin K||315 μg|
We believe that focusing on numbers can harm our relationship with food. Instead, our philosophy is to Nourish the Cells & the Soul. If you require specific nutrition information due to a medical condition, please consult with a dietitian or physician. The nutritional information provided is composed with the utmost care. However, we cannot guarantee the correctness of the displayed values, see also our disclaimer.
Watch it step-by-step!
More for the eyes